Friday, February 15, 2008

Honey Bush "Honey Vanilla"

Form: Loose
Company: T2
Price: $13.50/100 grams
Rating: 7/10
What They Say: Honey Bush tisane combined with a great vanilla twist. Have hot or chilled.
Review: Finally! After a very long while of wondering about both Honey Bush tea and the T2 tea company, I found both. Honey Bush was described to me as being like "a sister of Rooibos", having similar health benefits, yet having the colour and flavour of honey. I picked up a sample of their "Honey Vanilla" blend, very anxious to try it out. The results were... unique. This was not a bad tea, it was just not my particular favourite kind of drink. The taste was very much that of a tisane and, much to my surprise, not at all like it's earthier sister; Rooibos. To put this in perspective; I would have believed that this tea was an herbal mix of flowers if I was told. The vanilla and natural honey flavour of the leaf were in very equal balance, despite the colour (which was overwhelmingly honey-like) and the scent (which was overwhelmingly vanilla based). The liquid itself was very light and easy on the palate. To say that the flavour was subtle gives the wrong indication, yet the flavour certainly didn't hit me right away. Sugar wise, I didn't think I would need any, but later found out that I most enjoyed this tea with the same amount of sugar that I did a green or oolong tea. I think that this tea would be best suited as a pre-bed tea. Aside from it's total lack of caffine, it's has a very dreamy/sleepy quality which is quite hard to describe. I am very interested in simply trying out the basic, unblended Honey Bush, so as to compare to this. I remember trying Vanilla Rooibos and find it putrid compared to natural Rooibos back in the days of bagged tea. I would reccomend this "Honey Vanilla" blend of Honey Bush to, oddly enough, anyone who enjoys honey or vanilla as those truly are the only flavours present in this tea.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."- Henry James, OM (Author)

1 comment:

teatimer said...

Have you tried vanilla bean honeybush tea from californiateahouse.com? I think you will like it.