Friday, January 4, 2008

Glögg Black

Form: Loose Leaf
Company: The Tea Centre
Price: $10.70/100g
Rating: 9/10
Review: Anybody who knows of my tea drinking habits will be well aware my love for chai and chai related tea (such as the exquisite Christmas tea) so some time ago when visiting the Tea Centre of Sydney and noticing this flavoured black tea, I knew I had to try it. Glögg tea, derived from mulled wine or 'Glögg Wine', is a black tea with pieces of cinnamon, orange peel, almond, ginger, cloves and cardamon. As I'm sure you can imagine, it is quite similar to a chai in taste and also in it's need for sugar and milk (in my oppinion). Yet without milk, it was far more enjoyable than chai or christmas tea is milkless. The taste itself was like a spicier chai, yet not a chili derived spice. In other words, this was virtually a chai tea, albiet a very delicious one, with a more exotic and fuller flavour. I will certainly need to purchase some for home use in order to re-experience this tea, perhaps with a slither of orange added to the tea as I would be interested in trying a more orange based version of this tea. Infact, if anyone knows of a nice, chai like tea with a strong orange flavour, could they suggest it to me? Thank you.
Any fans of chai or chai related teas (as well as fans of mulled wine) should definately try this tea.

"I am so fond of tea that I could write a whole dissertation on its virtues. It comforts and enlivens without the risks attendant on spirituous liquors. Gentle herb! Let the florid grape yield to thee. Thy soft influence is a more safe inspirer of social joy." -James Boswell, Scotish Lawyer and Author

No comments: