Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Cha Yuen Co. Oolong

Form: Stringed Tea Bag
Company: Cha Yuen Co.
Price: $6.50 (50 tea bags) (I paid $2.50)
Rating: 6/10
What They Say: A Distinct and richly unique tea with a strong mesmerizing bouquet and wam, soothing flavour
Review: Ever since I tried, and loved, Oolong tea at the Tea house some weeks ago (see Blog 3), I've been on the look out for a home version. I've found one, yet I'm sure I can find better. Having said that, it's by no means a awful tea, it's actually quite nice when steeped correctly and is great for having after a meal. Yet there is a smoky texture tastable which was not present in the form I had at the tea house. Perhaps that was due to the 'Formosa' style which the previous Oolong was and this wasn't. Perhaps it's just because loose leaf tea is substantially nicer than bagged tea. Or perhaps this is just a mediocre Oolong tea. Whatever the reason, this is certainly not the same tea I had at the Tea Emporium. It is more like a black tea with hints of green, rather than the perfect middle ground that was the Formosa Oolong. I'm being too harsh though, as this is a nice tea with a very full bodied texture. It is rather easy to over-steep and it's very hard to tell by colour or smell if it's ready to drink. When you brew a 'perfect' cup though, it is very very enjoyable. It is certainly a tea to have without food as I've found that any other flavours lingering in one's mouth will destroy the subtle green tea flavours of the tea. Still, this will certainly have to do until I find a better Oolong to have at home.

"Come, let us have some tea and continue to talk about happy things." - Chaim Potok (American Author and Rabbi)

No comments: